Local 48

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Local 48
From: KPMF16@a...
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:07:07 EST
Jeff Wilson's book, "Burlington Route Across the Heartland," has a nice pic
of train 48 arriving at St. Louis in what looks like the early 50's on page
121. Mike Spoor's latest Color Book also has a shot of the same train in the
late 50's.
Perhaps I shouldn't name the railroad for fear of being kicked off the list,
but some of my fondest railroad memories are of riding several of these
locals between South Milwaukee and Milwaukee in the late 50's. It seems that
around 1960 many of these trains disappeared from timetables all around the
country. Can anyone tell why they all seemed to go at once?

Ken Thompson