Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Railroad track width

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Railroad track width
From: "D. Gabe Gabriel" <signaling@r...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:16:15 -0500
Cc: <WHillB@a...>
It looks to me like the question is the size of the "tracks", not the rail
gauge...

The standard tie length is what gives us the track width, from edge of tie
to edge of tie - 8 ft 6 in

However, the "track" is generally accepted at "clearance", as a train needs
nearly 12 feet.

So... depending upon which measurement means the most... the rails are 56.5
inches apart, the track layout takes up 8 ft 6 inches in width, while the
train requires nearly 12 ft of width.

Gabe