Re: [BRHSlist] Doodlebugs/Gas Electrics

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Doodlebugs/Gas Electrics
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:45:53 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Larry Doub wrote:

> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:09:38 -0000
> From: Larry Doub <nftrains@n...>
> To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
> Subject: [BRHSlist] Doodlebugs/Gas Electrics
>
> Hello Every Body,
> First,I wish to wish to be the first to wish you all a HAPPY
> THANKGIVING.
> Second,
> I'm Planning on adding a EMC GAS ELECTIC DOODLEBUG to my
> collection for my layout,
> What was the reason for building these and just how were they used?

To handle passenger and mail/express traffic on less heavily
traveled lines efficiently and at less expense. (And I used to
ride one frequently on the Frisco, not part of the Burlington Route
but later part of the BN and now BNSF).

> They are a combined passenger/mail car right?

Some are, some aren't. Some pulled a trailer, some didn't.
In some cases the gas electric car (the usual informal name then
and now is "doodlebug") was all coach behind the engineer/engine
compartment and pulled a combination coach/mail/baggage behind it.
RPOs operated on many doodlebug lines and those doodlebugs had
an RPO apartment in either the gas-electric unit or the trailer.

Most, perhaps all, of them were converted to diesel
rather than gasoline for the prime mover; later ones were
built as diesels from the get-go.

The RDC was a later successor.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...