Re: [BRHSlist] Rights of Trains

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Rights of Trains
From: Joseph O Antosiak <ColoradoSouthern@j...>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:25:14 -0500
I'd definitely recommend "Rights of Trains" to anyone who has any
interest in how railroads were operated in timetable & train order days.

Long ago (at about age 12) I acquired a copy of Al Kalmbach's 1940's book
"How to Run a Model Railroad." It contained as an appendix an abridged
railroad rule book, without the rules that didn't generally apply to
model railroads. After reading the book from cover to cover a few dozen
times, I was a _real_ expert on railroad operations--or so I thought.
Then I got a copy of "Rights of Trains", which had a series of questions
accompanying each chapter, so that readers could test their knowledge. I
came away from the first set of questions completely humbled, and never
acted like I knew enough to be a "real" dispatcher again. ;-)

Cheers,
--Joe Antosiak

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:16:34 -0700 "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
writes:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I just found out that Simmons-Boardman in Omaha has reprinted Peter
> Jossrand's "Rights of Trains". This is a book written by a Western
> Pacific
> RR Dispatcher which "explains" the pre-Consolidated Code and GCOR
> railroad
> rule books. If you want to know how things were done in the "dark"
> territory with lamps and train orders, this is the book. It not
> only
> describes "how" things were done, but explains "why" in plain,
> simple
> English. The book was written, I believe, in the 1930's or '40's,
> to help
> railroaders understand the rule book. Not all of us railroaders
> were (or
> are) as literate as the people who wrote the rule book :-) There
> has always
> been a certain amount of misunderstanding of rules, even in the old
> days.
> Anyway, S-B has this book for sale for $29.95 plus S&H. Their phone
> is
> 402-346-4300, and they take plastic. I read an original copy years
> ago,
> when I was beginning my railroad career. Today, I ordered one for
> my own
> library.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike Decker