Re: Bulletin Philosophy

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: Bulletin Philosophy
From: "Bill Hayward" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:00:12 -0000
It's also good to keep in mind that the authors of the Bulletin
articles are unpaid volunteers who research and write the articles as
a labor of love. Possibly others would like to volunteer to
research/write articles on some of the as yet uncovered topics. Since
joining in 1996, I have enjoyed every Bulletin that I have read even
when I did not have any reason to be interested.

Several postcards from the Curt Teich Company of Chicago were
reproduced in BB #37. The Curt Teich Archive was donated to and is
available at the Lake County (IL) Museum at the Lakewood Forest
Preserve in Wauconda, IL. I have never looked at their material, but
I remember that they did have a pamphlet available to aid researchers.

--- In BRHSlist@egroups.com, "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...> wrote:
> I'm afraid I can't agree with Paul and Jim regarding the Bulletins .
. . I haven't seen #37 yet (my membership lapsed), but I am sure it
will have information and photographs I can use - at some point.

> I agree to an extent - if I were to value data strictly by its
direct applicability to my modeling (a switching pike at a mythical
city halfway between Hannibal and St. Louis in Oct. 1944), a lot of
Bulletin material would be irrelevant. On the other hand, the coverage
a while back on the B&W/B&NW helped me decide that my branch line
would have to use a P-6 Atlantic and a CF-7 shorty combine for its
mixed train . . . The Bulletin on the coal fields gave me hopper car
photos for detailing and great material for upgrading my P2K 0-8-0 . .
. .

> Trackside details represent CB&Q standards, and help me there - just
about any freight equipment of my period could come rolling past . . .
.

> More importantly, I support the present philosophy because it is
good historiography. This society is building a library of
considerable value for decades to come, by associating all the
information together and treating it exhaustively. The issue on
consolidations cleared up an error in Bernie Corbin's book - there
*were* class D-5 and D-6 engines - the reefer issue proved that all
commercial steel-sided BREX ice reefers were wrong by pointing out the
strange fork-ribbed dreadnaught ends . . . .

> If I support the BRHS for another 20 years before I see a Bulletin
issue dealing with military troop train operations, I will still feel
it well spent -