Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger MTZ

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Challenger MTZ
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:20:37 -0500
From: "richard wolter" <rawolter@o...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 10:38 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Challenger MTZ

> Hi Listers,
> The thread going on about the shovelnose remotoring projects got me
thinking about a problem I have running my Challenger Mark Twain Zephyr.
Actually, when it runs it is great - smooth at all speeds, especially very
slow, although a bit noisy, but I can live with that.
> The problem is that it shorts out, usually on a curve - nothing less than
30" radius. Also, it derails in spots where nothing else does, including a
Northern, E-7s, and 85' brass passenger cars.
> These problems occur whether it runs power unit only, or with its cars.

Your problem most likely stems from the fact that many modern imports are
constructed to exact scale without regard to operational practicality. If
that is the case with your MTZ, the prototype's minimum (dead-slow yard
speed) curvature was 22 degrees which IIRC is roughly equivalent to 36" r.
in HO.

Shorting of the power car may well be related to the power truck skirting.
Try applying a strip of electrical tape to the inside of the skirting on the
hot side of the truck sideframes & see if that eliminates the shorting.

Derailments may be caused by interference between the truck sideframes at
articulation points and the skirting. I can see two ways of curing this
problem - one would be to file the skirt openings ever so slightly larger .
. . or (depending on how the articulation is constructed) slightly enlarging
the spacing between cars.

I do NOT have a Challenger MTZ, so this is speculation on my part, but I'd
bet on my answer.

In the same vein, I understand Challenger is planning importation of another
round of MTZs, this time in original configuration. Has anyone heard a
price? Does anyone have a direct e-mail contact for Challenger?

Marshall