Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago Hobby Show

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago Hobby Show
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:12:07 -0500
John and Others:

Walthers did not have any postwar Budd car samples at the show. They did
have the next release of Amtrak highliners, if you are interested.

Since the Budd line has been introduced, I can now share this information.
As a result of a dinner conversation at last year's RPM Meet (Naperville), I
worked with many passenger car modelers via their list and Walthers' new
product developer to select prototype post war Budd cars. Our research
showed that few cars were identical although many were similar, so I am
uncertain as to which specific cars will be done. I do not know of the
sequence of model release either.

My recommendation was to produce models the actually represent a prototype
and to not do what others have done. That is, not produce a compromise car.
In addition, I recommended that they target eastern and western markets with
cars that can be lettered for multiple carriers. That strongly suggests a
New York - Florida train via PRR-RF&P-SAL-(ACL had fewer Budd cars)-FEC. A
second train ran CBQ-DRGW-WP. I also suggested a shorter train, like a
Zephyr that ran to KC. Please remember that these were only suggestions.
Walthers has the entire market to consider. I have no idea of what will
actually be produced.

Walthers' plan is to produce a "line" of Budd cars. Their rep told me they
will do the one of a kinds, like dome-obs or lounges and the will be sold at
a slightly higher price. His most memorable quote is that Burlington fans
will not be disappointed! This is not a small project. You can expect new
cars from Walthers at the rate of one very two months for a while.

Kato has announced that the office car Burlington will be done in HO scale
next year.

My advise to to save your pennies and be patient. I am certain that a well
written letter to the manufacturers will be considered and may have some
influence on the outcom, but sales figures are the real measure.

I have nothing to personally gain from this effort. I am not compensated in
any way, except that like you, I will have some new passenger cars on my
layout.

Ed DeRouin