Depot names

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Depot names
From: "Archie Hayden" <kliner@s...>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:01:45 -0000
Bill, It is not unusual to find differences between the name on the
depot and the name of the community the depot is located in. I can
think of a couple of examples close by that have caught my attention
while examining old timetables. The town of Hull, Ill. on the old
Q&A line was listed as Hulls. Over on the other side of the river on
the Old Jo. main the town of Monroe City was listed as Monroe. An
interesting story told to me about a community on the High line
between Old Monroe and Mexico was the towns of Liege, Mo. and
Bellflower, Mo. which was actually one small community with the
railroad tracks running through it. As the story goes, When the
tracks had been laid and they were ready to build the depot, the
material was unloaded on the north side of the tracks which was
Bellflower , but during the night the people of Liege moved all the
lumber to the south side of the tracks so the depot would be in their
town. This may have happened more than once so the final solution
was to put both names on the depot. For the life of me I can't
remember if this was how the depot ended up because I do remember the
depot standing when I first hired out, but how it was marked I can't
remember. However, the timetables did list the station as Liege-
Bellflower. Maybe I can find a picture of the depot with both names
on it. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the way they did it. So
you see, there would be a difference in names every once in a while.