Re: [BRHSlist] Joint effort to save MTZ.

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Joint effort to save MTZ.
From: zephyr03@s...
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:02:44 -0500

JACKGP20@a... wrote:

> I was very sorry to hear that the Mark Twain Zephyr train set may be up for
> sale. I hate to think of what its future may be. A train with such history
> has to be saved.

As the second poor schmuck who tried to preserve/restore this train, I have to
volunteer to be of whatever help I can - (The first was Frank Dashner of
Glenwood, IA, who died before he could exercise his option on the train). I was
given the job (with *no* budget) when Ernie Hayes of Mt. Pleasant, IA bought it
for display at that city's Midwest Old Threshers. It was almost impossible to
raise money, because all the people old enough to have any to spare were also
old enough to have seen it run through town as the Advance Denver Zephyr in
1936, and refused to believe that anything they could remember was old enough to
be historic <LOL> . . .

My first train ride was aboard the 9903 in Oct. 1944 -

I'm not a great organizer, but I'm a heckuvan assistant!

Marshall Thayer