Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Route doodlebugs

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Route doodlebugs
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:09:03 -0500
Jack:

I have not seen a response yet, so I will toss out a couple of thoughts
based upon my interpretation of doodlebug history from photos and other
resources. That means, I do not specifically know, but am willing to fill
some blank space with thoughts to stimulate the audience.

1. What do you mean by the last run of doodlebugs? The last passenger run or
mixed train or use as a locomotive.

2. When local trains usually assigned doodlebugs were discontinued the
doodlebugs were also. For example, in the 1957-1958 period many local trains
on Lines East were eliminated.

3. Mixed trains lasted a bit longer on Lines West than their eastern
counterparts. I suspect transferring postal contracts to truck was easier on
Lines East due to the improved highways and closer proximity of towns.
I am willing to speculate that the last doodlebug mixed train assignment
occurred in 1960.

3. Photographs have been published of a doodlebug performing the local work
at Bushnell, IL in 1965. I suspect that was the last one.

4. Dovetail the acquisition of new locomotives (SD24, GP20, GP30) with a
decline in freight traffic through the late fifties and early sixties, and
you can speculate that SW and GP7 or 9's were released from other duties and
assigned to replace the last doodlebugs.

I invite anyone to add information or correct the above.

Ed DeRouin