RE: [BRHSlist] Tri-level auto racks on fallen flag roads

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Tri-level auto racks on fallen flag roads
From: ufffam@a...
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:34:37 EDT
As a Teamster, I loaded auto racks at the Chrysler assembly plant in Newark DE
from 1970 through 1972 while attending the U of D. (It helped that my father in
law was the VP of DelRel the company that contracted the releasing yard 8>)))

Mixture of bi and tri levels--bi level inbounds with vans and such--we sent
them back out with cars. Switch crews sometimes got bi and tri on the same
track--tough to unload/load!

No side panels on any of the cars so there was vandalism and an occasional top
level car burned from touching the overhead wire on the PC.

Racks were labeled for just about every RR that ever owned a rack--more rust
than paint on many of them! It was hot between the decks and the cars were
scorching after sitting in the storage yard--it must really be miserable now to
load with the side panels as we could at least climb out and down most any
where on the car.

Bill Uffelman