RE: [BRHSlist] Tri-level auto racks on fallen flag roads

To: "'BRHSlist@egroups.com'" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Tri-level auto racks on fallen flag roads
From: Jeff Worones <JWORONES@S...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:15:26 -0700
Jack,

I'm assuming you're talking about the Con Cor fully enclosed cars. My guess
is that these cars fall under the 'dream scheme' catagory. Fully enclosed
racks appeared after the demise of the NYC and PRR. I think the fully
enclosed cars started appearing in the mid seventies (1975?), so it is
possible that the Erie Lackawanna could have had some - if the Rock Island
could receive some I don't see why the EL couldn't!

Not to say the older open racks did not have side panels attached. See the
following link.
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/intermod3.html
I remember seeing bilevel racks with side panels hauling vans and pickups
well into the late 80's. A couple of years ago I saw quite a few UP and WP
partially enclosed racks come through town hauling hay bales - have no clue
why...

As far as Q racks go, most of the tri-levels had panels added by 1976. I
haven't seen any paritally enclosed Q cars prior to the merger, so if anyone
has photos of one, I'd love to hear from you!

Hope the answer to your question is somewhere in my ramblings...
Jeff Worones
Las Vegas, NV