Re: [BRHSlist] please, more on air brakes

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] please, more on air brakes
From: "Karl L Rethwisch" <karlre@r...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:49:27 -0600
Handbrakes can be applied at either end of a string of cars on a grade. With
slack BUNCHED the brakes are applied to the LOW end of the cut. With slack
STRECHED, the brakes are applied to the HIGH end.

The principle involved here is that WHEN the air leaks off the cars will begin
to roll and, if slack is present, they may exert enough force to overcome the
resistance of the brakes on the cars against which the slack runs.

Karl