Re: [BRHSlist] Re: a dumb question about getting air

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: a dumb question about getting air
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:55:46 -0600
Hi John:

I just got back from depositing our daughter in UP territory (Laramie, Wyo.)
for college, and saw your question. Putting your inside leg against the
hose on your side is a good plan. That way, you won't get hit by the hose
on your side if they come apart. You probably wouldn't be able to hold two
glad hands together when the air hits them anyway, and you'ld be down on one
knee trying it.

We had a brakeman killed in Gillette one night while they were switching out
368. It was in 1977 or '78, before portables were standard issue. He left
his lamp out in between the tracks while he was in between the cars lining
air. The brand new head brakeman (person) and the almost new Engineer, saw
the lamp and coupled into the track, figuring he was in the clear. He
wasn't...and the joint, with two comparatively inexperienced people working
by lamp signals in the dark, was harder than it should have been. The force
rolled him, and cut him just about in two. The moral of the story is: if
you are working with lamps, take it between the cars with you. They aren't
supposed to move if they don't know where you are.

Mike Decker, ex-Brakeman, now Engineer, Edgemont, SD