Re: [BRHSlist] a dumb question about getting air

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] a dumb question about getting air
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
--- John Knopp <jdknopp@g...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a dumb question to ask the Rails on this list about "getting
> air". Specifically, when opening an angle cock after hooking two air
> hoses
> together is there a preferred way to position yourself so that you're
> not
> busted up if something starts rolling or the two hoses come apart?
>
> This might be one of those questions that elicit as many different
> theories
> as the number of respondents but I'm curious as to how it's done in the
> real world. Thanks!
>
> John Knopp
> jdknopp@g...
>
> John:
No that isn't a dumb question! As may people like yourself, may decide
to volunteer at your local rail museum, ot tourist railroad, knowing the
correct way to position yourself could save you from injury or even at the
outside death.
If a trainman is coupling air between two cars the preferred method is
to place your left or right foot, (depending on whether you are right or
left handed, straddling the rail closest to you. You then hasve an escape
route if something goes terribly wrong. Never, I repeat never be with both
feet on the inside of the closest rail! Remember, a trains' airbrake
system when fully charged is in excess of 90lbs of compressed air. If
after you cut in the air and the angle cocks are not properly connected
and come apart, if you are standing with both feet inside the nearest
rail, the hoses come apart with such force, they whip around like a wild
snake and if you are close enough, the force could break bones! Some guys,
I have been told, were sterilized when struck in the groin area by the
loose hoses. SO my point to you is if you volunteer, please be careful, as
the injuries suffered could be severe and possibly permanent.

Tom Kaufman
Furloughed trainman
BNSF Railroad
Arnold Missouri