Headlights and the P2K 0-8-0

To: 'BRHSList' <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Headlights and the P2K 0-8-0
From: "Sauer, John" <jsauer@e...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:30:04 -0400
Thanks to all who responded for the feedback on details on the CB&Q 0-8-0.
If anyone has any further info on the details of the F-1, I would love to
learn more. Such as which specific engines had a smokebox front number
plate, which had the airpump walkovers (at least for engine numbers 545 and
549, the P2K offerings), and at what time period. The cuckoo clock
headlight, from what I have read, was replaced with a visor headlight on
some engines at a later date. Is this true and when and on which numbers?
If anyone had other photos other than the Morning Sun, Four Way West and
Rail Model Journal Aug 2000 photos, let us know what you see. All in all,
as per my prior message to the List, these 0-8-0's are really fantastic
models. For HO modelers and CB&Q fans, these really are the good old days,
I think.

Second, on the issue of the use of headlights, I saw Jeff Ford's comments on
current practice and early steam practice. Does anyone have any info on the
daytime use of headlights on Q steam in the 1950's? In general with steam,
I have never been clear about daytime use of headlights, as many photos seem
to show no headlight on. I assume daylight use of headlights evolved as a
safety practice more in the diesel era. Anyone have any good info on
headlight use in the 50's?

Thanks.
John Sauer.