Re: Hill Lines

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: Hill Lines
From: bradslaney@w...
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:00:28 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@egroups.com, marshall <zephyr03@s...> wrote:
> JACKGP20@a... wrote:
> >
> > Great Northern and Northern Pacific each owned 49% of CB&Q. They
also owned
> > 50% each of the SP&S.
> >
> > It seems to me that from the days of James J. Hill, GN &NP didn't
really
> > compete but were part of one system as the B&A and Michigan
Central were part
> > of the New York Central System. This seems like this was the case
up to the
> > Burlington Northern merger.
> >
> The BN merger did little more than formalize the Hill Lines
arrangement
> which had been in de facto operation from before 1910 -
>
> Marshall

I don't know if anyone remembers John Budd and Bob McFarlane standing
by the last car of #25 awaiting the 12:10 departure after a "Q"
director's meeting. You'd never know they were Presidents of
competeing lines with their demeanor. You'd think they were best
friends, yet a mutual disdain seemed to permeate their respective
G.O.s in St. Paul.

Brad