this, that and the other

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: this, that and the other
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:20:47 -0500
Fellow Members,

(1) Did the C.B.&Q. ever have any Hanrahan type reefers? This is a setup where
the ice bunker is in the middle of the car and the refrigerated compartments
are on the ends. If it did, will anyone please refer me to a picture of such?
Also, as a general matter, will anyone please inform me when these went out of
fashion, and why?

(2) A good number of Missouri, Iowa and Illinois small town C.B.&Q. wooden
depots had a very similar architectural style. I am sure many of you are quite
familiar with it -- horizontal wooden boards from ground to about four feet,
wainscoting relief, board and batten from there to the roof which had a long
overhang, narrow and tall windows, square operator bays. All of this bespeaks a
common heritage. What is the history of this styling? Was it adopted as
standard from any line which the Q absorbed? I suppose they were all built
about the same time, but when? Will anyone shed more light on the subject?

(3) Anyone who has an old HO 34-40 ft. wood-sided (or simulated) gondola shell
(preferably without trucks and couplers) they would sell for a nominal price
please contact me offline.

(4) The Brookfield, Missouri chapter of the Knights of Columbus, and its
auxiliary, is currently marketing a commemorative plate to raise funds for
charity. The 8" blue on white porcelain plate depicts historical scenes of Linn
County railroading -- ATSF and C.B.&Q. KC-Chicago main lines. Anyone interested
please contact me offline.

Regards, John