Re: [BRHSlist] Need Mars light info

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Need Mars light info
From: Russell Strodtz <vlbg@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:08:09 -0500
"Sauer, John" wrote:

> Hi to all Q fans
>
> I have seen prior messages about the use of Mars lights, but I guess I am
> still unclear. My Challenger Imports S4 Hudson has Mars light and the red
> only works when backing up. I assume this is not correct. Can someone
> explain again under what circumstances the red light operated? Was this
> the same for both steam and diesel? Also, on diesels, a lot of photos show
> the lower headlight on F's, E's and Geeps on as the regular road light.
> Some show the white oscillating Mars light on, but not always. What was the
> rule on operating the white Mars light?
> Thanks. John Sauer.

John:

The red was just like the PC switch. Automatic when train went in
emergency. If memory serves me right, most of the time the oscillating
light was not used on the East End. Out in the country it would be
on all the time after dark.

Rules then were not like rules now. In the past they presumed judgmental
ability. Now they presume stupidity.

Russ