Very First KC Zephyr

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Very First KC Zephyr
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:16:21 -0500
The information I have is that both the Kansas City Zephyr and the American
Royal Zephyr came on line February 1, 1953. There was an eastbound train and a
westbound train for each Zephyr, making a total of four individual consists.
One train of the Kansas City Zephyr that day consisted of the following cars:
Silver Pouch, Silver Cascade, Silver Spear, Silver Patio, Silver Manor, Silver
Terrace. Will anyone please inform me whether this was the first eastbound
train or the first westbound train.

Also, I should like to know what were the numbers of the locomotives for this
particular train that day.

I think I remember reading somewhere that when these trains first came on line
they received hand-me-down F3 power from the California Zephyr. Since I believe
there were only three sets of those I conclude that one of the new trains
received some other kind of power. Will anyone shed some light on which of
these new trains received a non-F3 power set?

I realize this is seeking some rather esoteric information, but it has been my
observation that the members of this group are a well-informed lot with a keen
appreciation for detail. Thanks for any informative response.