Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: Burlington & Missouri Valley

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: Burlington & Missouri Valley
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:12:54 -0500
Cc: pjboylanboylan@n...
Peter -

Your reference should read "Burlington & Missouri *River* Railroad".
This was the original name of the line between Burlington, IA and
Denver. The B&MR lost its independent identity and original numbers in
the 1903-04 consolidation of CB&Q properties.

The three locomotives you refer to were built for the B&MR as Nos.
273-275. The CB&Q numbers after 1904 were 590-592. At that time, they
were classified as L-1. All three enginbes were scrapped in October
1916.

While they were large engines for 1891, they were quickly superseded by
larger locomotives for other roads. They were specificially designed
for, and assigned to pusher/transfer service between Pacific Junction,
IA and Plattsmouth, NE . . . and, to the best of my knowledge, they
never strayed from this five mile stretch of track. Under those
circumstances, the rarity of photos is understandable. A builder's
photo of B&MR 275 is found on p. 67 of Bernard Corbin's "Steam
Locomotives of the Burlington Route".

Marshall Thayer