Re: [BRHSlist] Wood St./Water St

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Wood St./Water St
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:22:14 -0500
qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Does anyone know if when the Northwestern Wood St yard was in operation as
> the potato yard if there was a direct transfer between the Q/CNW ?
> DID the Q deliver cars directly to the CNW for spotting at the Water St
> produce exchange tracks that are directly parallel to the mains in the
> Halsted St vicinity? How about to the B&OCT which it would appear had tracks
> to serve the warehouses directly? Leo

Leo:

Yes, the Q delivered directly to Wood Street. I doubt that they would
have left anything at the C&NW's produce yard. That would make it a
little too easy. Would think that they would have taken everything
to Wood Street. Pulled up the Airline and shoved all the way West
as I remember it.

I do recall that at one time the main point of Interchange between the
C&NW and GTW was Wood Street. Of course at one time the CB&Q Western
Avenue yard was also the Q's major interchange yard. The IHB even
delivered there.

Thoughts on Coach Yard moves. Since the Q switched the Post Office
there would have been a lot of those type of transfers.

In clockwise order:

C&NW Through the CUS and CUS trackage to the place where the C&NW
went overhead. There was a ramp connection here and I think
the C&NW called this Roby Street, (everyone had a Tower called
Roby Street). From there to the C&NW depot or out to
California Ave.

MILW Through the CUS and CUS trackage out to Western Avenue. Must
remember that the MILW did not have any trackage East of
Western Ave. All those freight houses at ground level North
of the C&NW depot were switched by the PRR.

PRR Right at the Coach Yard. Just had to cross over.
GM&O

B&O As you described it, via Western Ave. and the B&OCT to Grand
SOO Central.
CGW

NYC Over the Airline directly to La Salle Street. Rock Island
RI used to lay over their suburban engines just to the Southwest
of that diamond.

ATSF Also used the Airline. There was a connecting track that
EL lead down to ground level where they went over.
GTW
C&EI

IC Also used the Airline. After all the CB&Q's depot used to
PM be on the lakefront.
MC

In the short period after Grand Central closed and before the
last Soo Line Passenger was discontinued they used Central Station.
They had no rights on the Airline so how did they get there?

You have 60 seconds!

Russ