Fw: Re: signal question

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Fw: Re: signal question
From: Terry M La France <okt@j...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 23:03:56 -0500
>From a friend of mine who lives in St Louis that I thought might know
something about this.
Terry

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Rick Newton" <newtonr@i...>
To: "Terry M La France" <okt@j...>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:23:49 -0500
Subject: Re: signal question

Well, some of the older stuff I'm not positive about, but I'll give it a
whirl anyway.

My understanding is that CTC was basically from North St. Louis to Old
Monroe. Beyond that to Hannibal the railroad was signaled, but as ABS.
Since Track Warrants were not around back then, from Old Monroe to
Hannibal
would've been TTO ABS (timetable & train order, with ABS). Manual Block
System Rules, typically allowed only one train in a fixed limit block.
The
dispatcher could not allow anyone else to enter that block, until there
was
confirmation that the block was clear. Keokuk was a heavy switching
area,
so I have to assume that to prevent conflicts, this is why Manual Block
was
used there. CTC began again at Hannibal I believe to West Quincy, north
of
there would have been the TTO ABS and MBS rules.

As for the train order signal, every station was listed in the timetable,
especially if there was a place to clear the main. Under TTO the
dispatcher
would relay train orders via the station agents at all these stations.
Train order signals were used to tell a train whether he needed to stop
pick up new orders, or could continue with his current set. This
probably
indicates that either, there was no agent at the station to deliver
orders,
or that all trains were required to stop and receive new orders. Likely
the
latter. I am not an expert by any means on TTO, so this is somewhat
speculation.

Hope this helps.

Rick N.