Re: [BRHSlist] Stewart Ph. IV F-3

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Stewart Ph. IV F-3
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:13:02 -0500
JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS wrote:

> Anyone share the same feelings I do on the newly released CB&Q Ph IV F-3's?
> After much anticipation here are my observations (optimistically). The shade
> of Imitation Aluminum can pass as OK based on the fact it varied in real
> life depending on age of paint and how much oxidation had taken place. The
> big disappointment is the fact that they must have used the Kato masks from
> the F-7's as the Red stripe through the portholes is much too narrow. It
> won't even match the stripes on their FT's. The 'BURLINGTON' lettering is
> too heavy and they used a nose herald with white stripes instead of matching
> the color of the stripes to the unit. I custom paint my own 'Q' F's with my
> own mixture of Imitation Aluminum (close to Modelflex paint) and use
> MicroScale decals- and the Stewarts aren't even close! I'm bummed! Putting
> the passenger pilot on these and matching the paint is going to be tough.
> Guess I'll strip them or at least re-decal them with the MicroScale Red
> porthole stripes and new 'BURLINGTON' on the sides. I think Proto 1000's
> color on their F-3 is much closer to being correct. What do you think?

It is *now* <g>!

I saw the pilot model at NMRA KC '98, and was in the gang of BR modelers
who cornered one of the LL people in the bar & educated him . . . the
stripes were "Indian Red", like from a pre-politically correct Crayola
box - way too brown. We carefully explained to him that Burlington red
was the same as Santa Fe's "signal red" . . . who says manufacturers
don't listen??!?!!!

Marshall