Stewart Ph. IV F-3

To: BRHS <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Stewart Ph. IV F-3
From: " JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS" <trains@m...>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 17:11:08 -0600
Anyone share the same feelings I do on the newly released CB&Q Ph IV F-3's?
After much anticipation here are my observations (optimistically). The shade
of Imitation Aluminum can pass as OK based on the fact it varied in real
life depending on age of paint and how much oxidation had taken place. The
big disappointment is the fact that they must have used the Kato masks from
the F-7's as the Red stripe through the portholes is much too narrow. It
won't even match the stripes on their FT's. The 'BURLINGTON' lettering is
too heavy and they used a nose herald with white stripes instead of matching
the color of the stripes to the unit. I custom paint my own 'Q' F's with my
own mixture of Imitation Aluminum (close to Modelflex paint) and use
MicroScale decals- and the Stewarts aren't even close! I'm bummed! Putting
the passenger pilot on these and matching the paint is going to be tough.
Guess I'll strip them or at least re-decal them with the MicroScale Red
porthole stripes and new 'BURLINGTON' on the sides. I think Proto 1000's
color on their F-3 is much closer to being correct. What do you think? John
Olson