Re: [BRHSlist] 5620

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 5620
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 05:52:19 -0500
atsf3460@a... wrote:

> More on the "mystery of #5620"
>
> I received an informative email from Ron Burkhard after posting my initial
> request for info as to #5620's longevity. According to Ron's email the #5620
> was used as a parts source for the #5632 while in excursion service. Ron
> also added that when the #5632 was sold (to Dick Jensen I believe) FIVE
> boxcars full of parts (possibly parts gutted out of the #5620?) went with it!

I don't know about the quantity or source of parts which went with the
5632, but it fits with what I heard when 5632 left Burlington (where I
was living at the time). 5632 had been shopped for (effectively) a
complete rebuild. The story was that $50,000 worth of parts and
materials had been acquired for the job when it was halted by incoming
president Louis W. Menk. Where Harry C. Murphy had viewed the steam
program as important both as a respect for heritage and as a PR tool,
all college-boy LWM could see was a money leak. Jensen got the '32 and
*all* the parts stock.

Marshall