Re: [BRHSlist] 5620

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 5620
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:10:03 EDT
More on the "mystery of #5620"

I received an informative email from Ron Burkhard after posting my initial
request for info as to #5620's longevity. According to Ron's email the #5620
was used as a parts source for the #5632 while in excursion service. Ron
also added that when the #5632 was sold (to Dick Jensen I believe) FIVE
boxcars full of parts (possibly parts gutted out of the #5620?) went with it!
If this is right then after the shops removed the parts they thought would
be used as spares there was possibly no company interest in keeping the hulk
or shell of #5620 intact.

My original source of info for #5620s longevity came from Wes Barris' s list
of preserved steam engines in the US and Canada where he showed #5620 being
located in Galesburg (this was easily 6 or 7 years ago). I knew this engine
wasn't in Galesburg at that time. This was obviously old data but sparked an
interest in #5620. When I finally got a copy of Corbin's LOTBR a couple of
years ago I was surprised to see that at the publishing date the #5620 had
not been disposed of yet.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL (who still hopes to see a "live" O5 or S4
someday!)