Tanks

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Tanks
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:30:16 EDT
Rich, While I'm sure tank trucks are regulated by the D.O.T. the combined
regs of D.O.T.,A.A.R.,R.S.P.A.,F.R.A. are to say the list demanding. A
typical general service tank(111a100w1) has the tank shell made from 7/16 "
plate. As the pressure rating goes higher the plate thickness increases.If
one were to install surge plates or baffles under current regs they cannot be
welded directly to the tank and would therefore mount on a "pad" that was
welded to the tank. The typical load in a tank is to 2%"outage" which means
that on a 30,000 gallon car the last 600 gallons space is not used and
allowed for expansion.
As a sidebar to this whole discussion I just recalled a comment by Russ
Repetto from years ago about the trouble the crews had stopping at Congress
Park to s/o on the south wye during the war w/oil trains as the "slosh" would
routinely shove them across Maple Ave. Leo