Re: [BRHSlist] Leanore

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Leanore
From: hogger41@a...
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:46:04 EDT
Karl, Leo and Fellow Listers,

I used to eat in the Zephyr Dinner Karl is talking about every morning
when I was a Hostler at 14th St. in 1977, and almost every morning while a
fireman on Suburban. Why the change?
While Hostling back in the late 70's you weren't making very much money,
so you ate at the cheapest and best place close to work. But, when you became
a Fireman, and started earning some real paychecks you could afford to search
out better establishments in and around the city on your layovers.
If anyone would like to see what the Zephyr Dinner really looked like, rent
the movie About Last Night starring Rob Lowe and Demi Moore.
Metra had just begun rebuilding the 14th St. Coach Yard and the Zephyr was
in the way of progress. So, it was due for demolition along with everything
else on the property. A few months before it's demise, Hollywood showed up
and used the Dinner as a setting for a few scenes. While you were eating
carpenters would be renovating the inside for the movie. When they were done
shooting the film, the place came down. It was a shame to see them spend all
that money to fix the place (cosmetically) just to tear it down. We did get
to watch the external scenes being shot, after the Zephyr was closed, but had
to wait for the move to see any interior scenes.
Everytime I watch that movie it brings back fond memories, and if you look
real close and you look beyond the actors outside the Dinner, you can see one
of the E's in the background off to the left.

The Zephyr......... another fine eating establishment. Nothing is too good
for our crews!

Gary O.