Re: [BRHSlist] GP-7's

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] GP-7's
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:29:11 -0500
kzach@e... wrote:

> On page 23 of Mike Spoor's CB&Q Vol. 3, there is a photo of GP-7 #
> 249,
> circa 1963. Also on page 62, there is # 256, in 1968. I appears to my
> bi-focalled eyes that the units are sans steam generator. Does anyone
> know when they would have been removed, and/or what other GP -7's
> were
> modified? Possibly when they were painted Chinese Red? Were the
> openings plated or welded over, or the entire top plate replaced?
> Other
> photos I have access to show the the exhaust pipe for the cab heater
> gone, but the steam generator equipment still in place. Any help or
> references would be appreciated.
>
> Jim Zach

Jim:

I don't think that there is any established pattern.

There are a combination of factors involved:

Is the Steam Generator still in the unit?

If it's gone was it replaced with concrete ballast?

Is the steam line still on the unit?

Is the water tank cross connected with the fuel tank to provide
more fuel capacity?

I think that any combination of the above may have been found on
any unit. In the mid sixties there were still SD9's used in
passenger service out West and them and the SD7's and GP9's all
have to be considered. While I have a fairly complete set of
locomotive assignment sheets that show that information I have
no idea where they are.

Can't really connect cab heaters with any stacks. The CB&Q GP7's
had cab heaters just like any GP7. There was a standby heater
behind the cab but it was designed to keep the radiator water
warm and circulating in cold weather if it was considered desirable
to shut the unit down. NW2's had the same thing. I don't think
that that feature was used very much and was probably maintained
even less.

A couple of years ago BRHS did one of these question and answer
deals that covered a lot of this stuff.

Stick with photographic evidence.

Russ