Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Southbound Amarillo-Dallas Sleeper Summer 1961

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Southbound Amarillo-Dallas Sleeper Summer 1961
From: "Stephen Levine via groups.io" <sjl_prodigynet=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 00:59:25 -0600
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zohomail.com; dkim=pass; spf=pass (zohomail.com: domain of groups.io designates 66.175.222.108 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=bounce+11863+66260+703214+1544929@groups.io; dmarc=pass header.from=<sjl_prodigynet=yahoo.com@groups.io> (p=none dis=none)
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; t=1707807579; h=Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Date:Date:From:From:In-Reply-To:List-Subscribe:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:MIME-Version:Message-ID:Reply-To:Reply-To:References:Sender:Subject:Subject:To:To:Message-Id:Cc; bh=Bqks3DaI4sGgwkoNIpCF32pkBIQ6ztnPyLGoj8SVxuY=; b=kpzBMJSvICdfwQJw41QbD8OPkHXkw3kH3mnNfDxAh14QxVuD1wue1Zti3s1Kbbil9Eb3g+Oz4ZpPcH/H3jI1p5sGYlpakzGEp90KnUO3CFqCg7LjEc20rdtwOdMNuGQ/4SfrxKk3fAmg280+FPoECjW0badaJ/mOUk0lxvbj2GY=
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1707807579; cv=none; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; b=aI+WvcnGD2jt9DqgVUuv5zuFjb1lXOPUtKmDAeBEHQSfwYk7kHr0b/dZD2fR6xglH3Nc5iexQIjs4uVbgw7896iwOA6h9Q4xXRRYLf1Rtm5KJNXPKn/9nEqjvI1k3gVum24sTJPtnBPJBCtTlgBkfKexBsofm2zsIWSKackZCEs=
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=bHbUi9cZnAZ314PAsbD/auqhtMEmMZne6C+XJ7uSra8=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=From:Mime-Version:Subject:Date:Message-Id:References:In-Reply-To:To:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Length; s=20140610; t=1707807578; v=1; b=rWzhKJkKa0PbhUfD5azmbYgmR0xiu/yQnU3Iz3fopj4+Nfkf1wf23zbjdmpHY/5LlN0DoUcd EZSFHK/q6ze8JvLCg+moZqn7L/DSRHPSl9dbN59eR5lF0A7OlPHpiWmb7L8+HqjGx3stcSVwuZx ZWhBpO5lKqedu0WvIDlIC7Us=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I still have fond memories of both seeing and riding the train when it was the Denver Zephyr.  It seemed such a long train to this toddler. The train would bring family from Chicago to visit us in Denver, and we, in turn, would ride it to Chicago to visit them. And, in September of 1956, it carried my dad away as he and my mom divorced each other.

I have always had a special attachment to that equipment. After the 1956 equivalent replaced it, I continued to wonder what happened to it. In 1965, I saw it again in the passenger yard in Denver, but didn’t realize it was the same train, because it was labeled Texas Zephyr. However, it was my High School French teacher, Mr. Boyer , who had been a Burlington Passenger Agent before going into teaching, who told me that it was indeed my old friend.