Re: [CBQ] Train order question

To: Ken Thompson <mailboat4@gmail.com>, "Group.io CB&Q" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Train order question
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:55:06 +0000 (UTC)
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zohomail.com; dkim=pass; spf=pass (zohomail.com: domain of groups.io designates 66.175.222.12 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=bounce+11863+65920+703214+1544929@groups.io
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; t=1698036910; h=Content-Type:Date:Date:From:From:In-Reply-To:List-Subscribe:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:MIME-Version:Message-ID:Reply-To:Reply-To:References:Sender:Subject:Subject:To:To:Message-Id:Cc; bh=ZmCxaXuu5ATagL3cSVUYa/fv/N+7KPs41BukEvg8um4=; b=ROKJoJXlL0O0rU4oqmfTUHbCzffyu2vOjgtMRM6Jaf8FvkauG6bJ+QuIrbqYqQNxoRT4cndOs5v45QMCXotQFbxcilTcM5NOe3gIBT3lhgm7H8UDQIXRVz0dUQX4gXL7Dxd2+XNOBJ3jOSvE/zJKIblm+FtAEjEhtX7+n4ZZsb0=
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1698036910; cv=none; d=zohomail.com; s=zohoarc; b=RBd23fL/C9w2si3w6QduYGUR+p8VdgpQbvSbeMspnnz99yMGiANjQeFOPXu++KBvlA76ZcJ34N152Cq3QFEIJaf+Kg7dvVr1s2hOIGde0E23UStY56u2kbJI72FzayE4yxtwd4lAd4ZNTDlzlv3iPIeCoWSZSLY79M8hShW5G5Y=
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=ABuvTJqh5NtOPN8sVfQ8FxFTdhQmIAl01s7yKKDiZ1Q=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:MIME-Version:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type:Content-Length; s=20140610; t=1698036909; v=1; b=Drd7/q3T2IJlpfReGvfIy8PZslizN4MJxfZgHzLMzwQwlMpvt/Lccm41uTWLiTgfa9o5q7oA 2AH0TRdEoNLlPJb/TiqezQ+xjQVKuzKPNrdL0FfowDlxQHo6+ecQ/sb+Buh2/qo+wpu8D3zPL7q sN7nk6mXno1ex6vZdZKvpRvc=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

In answer to Ken's Question IF any of you can remember this was covered in a Clinic I did.
There were four basic desks in the Cicero Office which got folded into the Galesburg office in 1983 consolidation with the Hannibal Office so all Lines East dispatchers were in the same office and the American Train Dispatcher Association the union that covered that job.
Each desk.  East End(Aurora to Chicago)Main Line  (Aurora to Galesburg) C&I (Aurora to St. Croix Tower((Minneapolis))) and Ottumwa (Galesburg((Graham)) to Pacific Jct/)  Each job had branch lines except the East End.
    Each Desk had the train sheet to record Eng & Conductor, Trainmen were not recorded as they ran with the Conductor.  Same with the fireman running with Engineer
    Each Desk had a Daily Book which contained  orders covering operation and clearances Numbered from Mid-nite  Clearances would be recorded in the back along with the orders issued for a train.  The one daily book I do have is for Hannibal West and used numbers 1-99 for daily and each shift wrote out a transfer to the next shift showing the active orders both Daily and Slow and any info to pass on to the relieving person.
          Slow Order Book for slow and lookout orders up for up to 30 days that if permeant would be sent to the Supt. Office for issue as a Bulletin. In the Hannibal West book they used 500-599 .
There was also another book for recording Track Line Ups to Protect MOW and Signal personal this was generally 6AM-Noon and Noon-5 PM.  No train could be operated over the territory unless on the lineup. Each lineup had a number starting at Mid-night.  Branch lines line-ups would last all day as often only one train a day or a round-trip.
Another book was used for CTC Track Car Permits using a rubber stamp with the form and depending on the DS stamped in an other order book 1 to 4 on a page and again with a separate number starting at Mid-Nite. .  The DS blocked off the CTC machine with no trains in the block or FOLLOWING trains
   No XX CTC Aurora to West Siding Switch Sugar Grove.  701AM until 801 AM
Orders were issued to Operators and then the DS had to listen to each repeat (as well as any others the order was issued to if Meets or slow orders)  For slow orders they would be hanging on hooks to be gathered up and recorded on the clearance form then repeated to the DS.  Once repeated the DS then gave a time and initials'.  At first the Division Supt. initials' were used  like CAM,  then we used the Chief DS like RAM.  and later each DS used his own Initials.
Check out the Members only page for the clinic tapes
SJH
Steve in SC