[CBQ] Who switched Mount Morris

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Who switched Mount Morris
From: "Robert Herrick" <rdherrick@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:21:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=5TSZyxekkjLABjys9ZTEqQxqLC6TjaEhd1CEqumZgeA=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=Subject:To:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:Precedence:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:List-Unsubscribe:Content-Type; s=20140610; t=1695306077; v=1; b=M8JdBscjUNYUkpK72KIyqz3kLYW3UdpYz6jMU0qMp3FNONxaDbF1jEJMJHr2WwqXXI38rv+k Fk5dbgWuIlcYWV8/WmfFEytUMOpl0hTBGGVBU28hQDmBS35kQIkio852TjFRk5oJZb8u+RZr44/ I9VlVTWFr2xMVU2eh8sf+hVk=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I had to dismantle the Forreston branchline layout due to major pluimbing work and as the result, I've moved the date of the new layout from 1926 to 1933-34. Of course the segment from Mount Morris to Forreston was torn up in 1932 so the new version will be a one-town switching layout. The smaller scope reflects my inching up to age 80.

Forreston was home base to crews operating to and from Oregon and the Q had a roundhouse, turntable, water tank and hand-shoveled coal for the tenders. They handled all switching at Forreston and Mount Morris (don't know about Oregon). But what train handled switching at Mount Morris after Forreston was gone?

The 1934 ETT shows one scheduled train making a round trip between Mount Morris and Oregon. Moreover the ETT shows a way freight ping-ponging between Eola and Savanna on alternate days. Since there were no locomotive facilities at Oregon, save water, it seems unlikely a switcher was assigned to Oregon in 1933--unless the loco zipped to Rochelle for coal. Unless, of course, the tender was loaded via conveyor from a local coal yard. In later years, a steam locooper ated tender first to Mount Morris, but what about 1933.This may seem a minor question since I model only Mount Morris, but a smaller layout requires more attention to such matters.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Bob Herrick
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#65740) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_