Re: [CBQ] End of Branchline - How did they turn the engine?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] End of Branchline - How did they turn the engine?
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1363966997; bh=QDZIk62+/aey9kn+WANjfyM6ki4WABWtgG99NBv1OZ4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=WQp+QBHaagNqPJISFgZ0nbYtx8E1v5GzMV0cBSePePLiki8WQca/GWMsuJlSp1F4uMZAtDr4nycP7H73J3ZCkXE2AsocJgbqa9YmIRi5hlvawTQ4/PhqZ7Zn2y0Az/qJr6iOcNVKnly4q9/9+jNCBgHPRz02vytyv5inqE/1ztA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Here are some of the "turnaround facilities" I'm familiar with...even worked some of them.

Huntley, NE...a WYE north of town  we turned motorcar 9769 there in 1956.

Lushton NE..when the line from McCool Jct to Lushton was abandoned a WYE was installed at Lushton..Turned the 9769 there many times in 56.

Sargent NE..The engine house (still there) sat in the middle of a wye with the tail pointing east...I worked the Hastings-Sargent local two weeks in 56...We used a GP 7 with dual controls, so the wye was never used by our job.

Hebron NE.  When the line was abandoned from Hebron to Chester in the 1940's a turntable was install at "end of track"...Removed..probably circa 52 when the SD7"s came along.

Nelson NE.  again a turntable when the line to Superior was abandoned in 1940's...removed when the SD"s came

Daykin NE...Don't think that there was ever a TT there..Probably backed up from Daykin to Tobias.

Prague, NE:  After the line to Schuyler was abandoned a turntable was installed at "end of track"...There are photos in Jack Peiffer's  WEST FROM OMAHA and a video put out by CAMERAIL CLUB showing a steam engine being turned on that table.

The reference to a post, winch and pusher to operate turntables is explained in at least one of Al Holck's books...

If I think of others I'll post it here

Pete