[CBQ] Re: Scanning Negatives

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Scanning Negatives
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:36:57 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1331055422; bh=xdRCFY88bYKEfcDy6ISKZST9eP5Ej84ipHgrYMGekfI=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=g+kbkBu/nIhQI0pswpfk1pqbqK1XExLbtP8Ii2PoB25QO5yQcnKeNTNzyoQwIDn/mgyvHuIi6o82JsfLBmoMrepBC2bI7CjU/y9PJgkRGzltBBojpYpqLcQnfoxRV8DL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Bill,

Normally, the right to ownership transfers upon inheritance by will or codicil
to the will. An enforceable copyright ends at life plus 70 years of the
creator. So 70 years after your Father passed, the copyright ends and the
material enters public domain.

As the copyright owner (through direct or indirect legal inheritance) you can
enforce the copyright. The courts look to the relatives for guidance and then
shirt-tail relatives from there. If a brother or granddaughter claim copyright
control, you'd better listen. They have an arguable position and unless there
is a legal agreement that shows otherwise, most court cases ruled to the legal
heirs.

Copyright law is more about the dissemination than anything else. You can make
any copy of anything from anyone for any reason for yourself. But you cannot
give it to anyone else unless it is yours to give. Period. It's the act of
dissemination that trips the law. So scanning a Blackhawk slide and sending a
copy to a buddy is a violation of the copyright law. I use Blackhawk as an
example since the Blackhawk copyright owner still has rights to much of the
Blackhawk library.

Copy negs are usally made like a contact print. The original negative and copy
negative film were sandwiched together in a mechanical contact frame and then
exposed to light from the enlarger. When Kodak was in the film business there
were several copy emulsions available. Now, I think there were two or three
emulsions pre-bankruptcy. A couple of list members are excellent photographers
and very knowledgeable dark room guys. They have better insight although they
have closed down their darkrooms.

Professional photo labs still make copy negs. And you can still scan a negative
and have a copy negative made on film digitally that is as good as the
original. But it takes excellent optics and big files to retrieve the data of
negatives.

Scanners can illustrate more flaws than we want to know about. But the wealth
in the technology is the ability to see what was never there in a photograph.
Background detail is like a treasure hunt.

Hope it helps.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com