[CBQ] Street Running/Alley Job

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Street Running/Alley Job
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:46:59 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There was a short stretch of street running in Amboy down a beautiful brick
street lined with handsome old homes. Also ran immediately adjacent to street
in  other parts of town, also in Ottawa and Naplatte.
There was a little bit of street running next to Barber Greene on the W
Batavia line. Last time I was over that way it was still there.

Still finding more details from my research on the Alley Job. Suffice to  say
this was the original warehouse,mfg,distribution area in Aurora so in
addition to those industries already mentioned there were also a beer
distributor,2
fruit distributors,a scrap yard, at one time a dairy,a box  mfg(Pictorial),a
paper distributor, a IH equipment distributor, a furnace  installer,a gas
station that received by rail,a farm feed store,
at one time team tracks,two coal distributors,a power plant,a utility
warehouse,a couple lumber yards,a plumbing distributor,a door hardware mfg,a
locker
mfg,a steel supply house,a 2 bulk oil distributors,a confectioner
distributor,Sears warehouse,a carbon paper mfg,etc,etc,
What was somewhat unique was that switch handles were set below street  grade
between the rails and covered by a heavy metal plate. Check the archives  for
my true incident from the mid 50s as to what could and did happen at least
once to a man while throwing one of these switches.
Also see the prior description of thawing out these switches using the  steam
lines on the 0-6-0.
I also have inside info that a future issue of the Bulletin will contain  one
of the best shots of an 0-6-0 in action with two switchmen riding the
footboard at the North Ave river bridge next to the power plant on the Alley
Job.
It's an awesome shot(I'm a little biased as my grandfather is one of the  two
guys).

At the peak the Alley Job would leave Eola YD.with 60 cars,distribute those
and go back for more! Much like the jobs in the lumber district that would not
 reappear for 16 hours at Western Ave., the Alley often worked 12 to 16
hours.  This job was one of the last assingments for 0-6-0s. See Russ' posting
of
West  Eola Tower block sheets for details. You can see the # of cars
handled,hours  worked and engines assigned.

Leo Phillipp