Re: [BRHSlist] re: shipping in barrels/sacks

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: shipping in barrels/sacks
From: "David Jordan" <dpj1974@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:10:02 -0500
As for barrels, for yrs (still today?) Hiram Walker cut & cured
> staves for whiskey barrels at facility on SE side of Prairie du Chien for
> eventual shipment as whiskey barrels to distillery in Peoria.

Hiram Walker & Sons vacated their Peoria distillery in late 1981 after
selling it to Archer Daniels Midland. I was curious if the Q handled this
traffic to Peoria from the the facility in Prairie du Chien. These carloads
of cut & cured staves first went to the cooperage facility at 2400 SW
Washington St. (now Caterpillar's Rubber Processing Facility). Finished
barrels were loaded into boxcars, switched out then delivered to the Peoria
& Pekin Union's 90 Yard. P&PU then delivered them (only several blocks
away!) to the distillery's bottling plant warehouse. This cooperage plant in
Peoria closed in 1972.

David P. Jordan
Peoria, Illinois

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511