Re: [BRHSlist] Can we build the Denver Zephyr?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Can we build the Denver Zephyr?
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:51:24 -0600
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:08:43 -0000, wollffee wrote
> It looks to me like the Empire Builder fans are going to get a
> 1948  edition of their train that runs on Microsoft Train Simulator.
>   Apparently it is the GN Historical Society that did the work.
> Don't  we have enough techno geeks that we can build a Zephyr, and
> the  appropriate 1950's scenery to go with it?

I don't see why not . . . I could certainly do the necessary "construction"
on the train itself, and I know that various members on this list have old
CB&Q track alignments (like what Dave Lotz published in his BB on the B&NW to
Washington), which would take care of the various grades, curves & bridge
locations;  We'd need to set a period & start chasing pix for reasonably
accurate lineside buildings . . .

BUT:  If we were to launch a group effort to do *something* Burlington to
attract possible post-Q fans (as discussed a few days ago here), I would like
to suggest a different train & route because the scenery would be a LOT less
dull, and the additional bells and whistles that would be available could be
awesome!

How about the Mark Twain Zephyr from Burlington to St. Louis?  That's 220
miles of Mississippi River bluffs and cute little towns like Wever;
fascinations like the Keokuk Dam, the Ft. Madison double-deck bridge . . .
operating complications like turning on the wye at Burlington to back into
the station track, etc.

I briefly had access to MS Train Simulator (basic package), so I don't know
whether it allows for other trains passing, etc., but - if so - we'd have the
added attraction of seeing Wabash and TP&W in Keokuk, Santa Fe in Ft.
Madison, Rock Island also in Keokuk and Burlington, etc.

I have personally thought about doing the B&NW in steam (P6A 4-4-2)providing
Train Simulator allows for way switching (I didn't get far enough into it to
find out . . .)

Anyway, it sounds like a great idea, and a free (or chep) download from the
BRHS site could attract people there as well . . . so let's discuss routes &
trains & available material, but count me in for artwork!

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM