Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:59:55 -0700
> I think the innovative culture resulted, right from the early years, from
customer focus. <

Also, there is the fact that drom Charles Perkins to Harry Murphy (with the
exception of a few short-term caretakers), Q presidents had been carefully
mentored from early in their careers. The fact that Ralph Budd was mentored by
J. J. Hill doesn't change that, since the Q was more tightly knit into the Hill
system in those days.

And when they changed it, we got Louie Menk <sigh> . . .

Marshall

BTW - the Q first experimented with internal combustion freight service in 1933
with the little Porter gas-electric #111, between Keokuk & Mt. Pleasant.
Although the Dan Patch had been all internal combustion in the 'teens and the
NYC had put the 1550 into service on the Putnam division in 1930, this was
probably the first try by a major RR in the Midwest.