CB&Q corporate culture

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: CB&Q corporate culture
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:56:06 -0500
Bcc:
What a great series of comments!!! We are getting to the very heart of why we are Q fans; ie. what made the Q attractive. Those Boston investors were indeed men of honor yet good, tough businessmen - in for the long haul & not a quick profit or "in & out". This in turn created top mgt - witness Perkins & Budd (read Overton's dual bio of the 2) and finally Murphy. The Q was often referred to in the RR press as the "father of RR presidents" as so many CEO's of other RRs came from the Q inc. Santa Fe, C&NW, NYC, etc. The sound mgt meant a sound financial picture (recall that 100+ yrs of never missing a dividend - unheard of among RRs & vitually unheard of among ALL U.S. corporatations). The R&D @ Aurora (& @ other points) was a major factor too - success begats success. Recall the 1st use of diesel fuel made from coal tar @ Aurora (I'll bring a pic to St. L. of Murphy looking at a bucket of it). I believe certain innovations in teletype for business use were also Q 1sts. When you consider it was a granger, in an area over populated with RRs & often the 2nd or 3rd RR to major points (Omaha, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, TWin Cities, etc) it further proves good mgt hiring good people running the RR as a transportation company (pioneering with buses, trucking & almost air freight) = SUCCESS! Imagine if the Q had gone thru with the once proposed extension to the West Coast but then again partnering with the Hill Roads wasn't a bad idea either. Q people did indeed provide us with a RR well worth railfanning, collecting & modeling! Gerald Edgar