Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q water tank

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q water tank
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:24:00 EDT
Todd and list.

Let's go back 43 years. My last job as brakeman for the CB&Q was the
Fairmont Hildreth local summer 1958.

The line was then dispatched by telegraph. I believe that the Q had
telegraph generally until about 1972. I don't know whether the Hildreth Line
poles and wire were removed prior to that or not.

I'm very much interested in seeing your postcard view of Hildreth circa 1900.

I often think of my days on this job (July-September 58) and I've tried to
remember whether there was an elevator on the North side just east of the
depot. There was one and I think two elevators on the South side and when I
was there the South elevator track was not connected on the West end. Seems
like when I was there a few years ago the South elevator track had been
reconnected on the West end.
I was there just a couple of summers ago and you well know if you have been
there in recent days that most of the evidence of the RR is gone...only grain
storage facilities are there covering all of what was the station grounds.

I found what I took to be the depot located in the Northwest edge of town
along a semi main road. Can you confirm. I wasn't aware that the depot was
two story at one time. In 58 it was one story and the old agent Tom ?????
lived right across the ROW to the South in a couple of boxcar type buildings.

I see that you are in Minden....I'm in Lincoln. If you come to Lincoln or
next time I head west I'd like to get that postcard and have a copy made.

Pete Hedgpeth