CB&Q water tank

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: CB&Q water tank
From: "T.L. Petersen" <Pete@w...>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:34:30 -0500
A few weeks ago someone wrote to the list looking for a picture of a CB&Q water tower. I've run across a postcard taken from the top of either a grain elevator or from the town's water tower which shows a good shot of the depot, CB&Q wooden water tower, and the windmill that served it at Hildreth, Nebraska from around the turn of the century.

Another interesting thing in this picture is the roof of the two story depot. It has a ladder running up the side of the building then up the pitch in the roof to the peak where there appears to be a roof walk running the length of the building. I wasn't aware of that being done but perhaps on these smaller secondary lines they needed it to look up and down the track to see what was coming? I always figured that was done by telegraph but come to think of it, I cannot recall seeing any poles along this line over the past 35 years, which is as far back as my memory of the area goes although of course they could have been removed before my time. The tracks through Hildreth were all pulled up within the past five or so years.

Though it has been moved to a different location, and the second story removed long ago, the depot still exists although as a garage in a backyard in town.

Anyone wanting to see the post card view may email me off list and I'll send it to you.

-Todd-

T.L. Petersen
Minden, NE