Re: [CBQ] Video: Local Freight Train Operation on the C&S Ry

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Video: Local Freight Train Operation on the C&S Ry
From: "Jerry Michels" <gjmichels53@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 06:09:02 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thanks Jim,

Yes we had sugar beet traffic at one time.  Sugar beets were grown on a large
acreage for Holly Sugar which had a refinery in Hereford, TX.  As far as I
know, all the traffic was handled by the Santa Fe.  Plant disease, in the form
of persistent soil viruses, ended sugar beet production in the early 1990s. The
Holly refinery lasted longer into the early 2000s with beet being trucked in
from out of state.  It is now closed. I think sugar beet by rail ended in the
early 1980s.

On our layout we will model sugar beet traffic with a beet dump at Umbarger,
TX, and loads going to Hereford.  I hope that we can do a video like yours one
of these days.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum