Re: [CBQ] John Olson

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] John Olson
From: "John Olson" <trains28@jimsjunction.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:17:38 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dennis,

   Thank you for this info.

  John

On 12/16/2021 10:12 PM, Dennis Popish via groups.io wrote:
John:

The Texas Zephyr Betterment sleeping cars were Pullman’s attempt to match the
other new Budd cars in the consist in 1940 since the Burlington would not spend money
on stainless steel sheathed standard Pullman cars instead of all stainless steel Budd
cars.
There were 3 sleeping car configurations each of 2 cars on the TZ, the 8-5 Castle Crest and
Range, the 12-1 Spanish Crest and Range and the 10-1-1 Lariat Crest and Range. They were
painted a two tone silver above and below the belt line as depicted in the Kalmbach
“Pullman Paint and Lettering Notebook” authored by Arthur D, Dubin.

The Zephyr Rocket consist utilized two Betterment Pullman types, the 10-3
Minneapolis and Cedar Rapids and the 8-1-3 Zephyr and Rocket Tower. These and
two more Tower cars, the Denver and Missouri Tower were produced by Pullman a
year after the Texas Zephyr Betterment cars in 1941. The Denver and Missouri
Tower were normally assigned to other than the Zephyr Rocket, for instance on
the Exposition Flyer.

The Tower series cars were not assigned to the Texas Zephyr since that was officially a
C&S and FW&D operated consist. The Tower series were assigned to CB&Q consists.
The Tower and City series Betterments were painted in the  imitation stainless steel all
silver paint scheme.

Hopefully this clarifies the Betterment Pullman issues on the Q/C&S/FW&D
consist assignments.

Dennis Popish