Re: [CBQ] CB&Q C&I quarry branch

To: CBQ <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q C&I quarry branch
From: "Doug Hartman" <douglas.p.hartman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 14:10:31 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Where we was the wye off the C&I?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 11:49 AM Leo Phillipp via groups.io <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Roger,

Are you thinking of the discussion about the spur to the Q owned gravel pit(s) NW of Sugar Grove ?
The spur went North from the C&I main off of a wye and ran along the west edge of Sugar Grove. It ran straight North until what today is the curve in Rte. 47 at Bliss Road intersection. Just west of that it crossed the C.M.&G. Then crossed what today is route 47. It paralleled 47 west on the north side. It continued west to Scott road. The Q owned property west and east of Scott road,along Harter road and on what is today’s WCC campus.
The gravel was taken from the Kaneville Esker(basically what had been a stream under a glacier). The Kaneville esker was the longest one in Illinois. If you know where to look you can still find small pieces of it. As the western properties played out the line was cut back and then taken up.

I plan to someday write a history of many of the Q’s owned pits in the greater Aurora,IL area for the BRHS Bulletin. I do have plat maps showing the Sugar Grove spur, the Q owned parcels of land and so far one photo of a Q steam shovel and work train along side the esker. It is dated 1912. Also have a ICC evaluation report(from the BRHS archive) showing Sugar Grove gravel spread on the C.&I.

Still need to do lots more research to pin down the build and tear out dates of the line. Neither the Sugar Grove or Kaneville H.S. were able to help.

Leo Phillipp