Re: [CBQ] BRHS Contact Us Message

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BRHS Contact Us Message
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 07:11:01 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Thanks  Dennis.

Leo

On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:18 AM, Dennis Popish via groups.io <qchooch=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The main Chicago post office was built in 1921 and opened in 1922. Chicago Union Station opened in 1925 after a ten year construction time frame that started in 1915. Theoretically then both structures were being constructed simultaneously with the post office constructed over the  south Chicago Union Station tracks. The facility complex then was designed to function to serve both passenger traffic and mail service in and out of Chicago.

The post office was originally a one story terminal in 1922 but the footprint was maintained with 9 stories added in 1935 to accommodate the massive increase in mail volume that was being encountered.

Referencing the CB&Q Chicago Division Station Plat dated November 17, 1933 the building on the right in the flickr photo is labeled as “Railway Express Agency- Inbound Freight House”. The building is located along the west side of the railroad right of way. This indicates the photograph in the flickr link provided in the e-mail is looking south. The bridge crossing the right of way is Polk Street. If the view were to the north the structure would have to be Harrison Street with the post office building immediately behind it, which is not the case.

The REA building was expanded in later years to be cantilevered over the western most track on concrete piers between the tracks with trains visible under the overhang.
The elevated tower on the left side of the photo is labeled as “CUS Signal Tower”. The freight house to the left of the tower is labeled as “Alton (GM&O) Express Office and Freight House”.
For anyone that has the book by Patrick C. Dorin “Everywhere West The Burlington Route” the top photo on page 70 has an excellent view of this exact location with a north view looking at the Harrison Street overpass with  the main Chicago post office behind it to the north.

Dennis Popish