Re: [CBQ] BRHS Contact Us Message

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BRHS Contact Us Message
From: "Burtron Armbrust, Sr. via groups.io" <wb8ebs=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 01:06:15 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thank you Michael for this view.  Usually you see it from the other end.  Look in the recent Burlington calendars.  Burton

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 01:12:26 PM CDT, Dennis Popish via groups.io <qchooch=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Guys:

That small tower is actually on the GM&O dedicated trackage and shared platform beneath the tower feeding into and south of Chicago Union Station. Manned as far as I know by GM&O personnel and used in coordinating all GM&O consists in and out of CUS.

The image is not reversed, the view is to the south, taken just south of Harrison Street. REA Express is on the right or west side of the tracks. The post office was certainly in existence then and the tracks visible all passed under the post office complex at Harrison Street before entering CUS three blocks north at Jackson Blvd. The mainline tracks into CUS day-lighted at the north side of the post office with the track platform canopies visible up to Jackson Street. All below street level of the surrounding areas.
The tracks to the far left (east) in the photo were the lead tracks into the post office where much of the interchange was made between the in and outbound RPO and express cars. These tracks terminated just south of the south CUS concourse and were just west of the Chicago Rivet adjacent to CUS.

Dennis Popish