Re: [CBQ] October 1950 Empire Builder Picture

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] October 1950 Empire Builder Picture
From: "Richard Gortowski via groups.io" <rgortowski=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 02:21:34 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bryan,

That's a fascinating blow up of the Builder on many counts, including the fact that it is a 15 car consist, when the usual consist was 12 cars, due to the scarcity of lightweight cars painted in the EB paint scheme.  I checked the Randall book and saw he says the mid-century cars were delivered between 10/50 and 3/51.  That would certainly explain the Ranch car and Mountain obs in the consist.  If they were getting the new trainsets as early as October of 50 and didn't start running the new Builder until June of 51,it makes you wonder if they would either augment the Builder, or maybe use the overlap period to take some of the 47 cars out for heavier maintenance and substitute the new cars.

Since I am modeling late December of 1950, and have both an Eastbound and Westbound Builder, I think I'll pick up one of Railway Classics skirted Mountain Obs. I'm not sure they did a skirted Ranch car, which would also be a hoot to have.  It appears that some of the 51 set cars could be running in late 50.

Thanks for pointing that out and providing the blow up.  I never would have noticed that.

Rich G.