Re: [CBQ] SW12 Question

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] SW12 Question
From: "James Sandrin" <sandmantrains@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:41:42 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Ricky: There were definite differences between the delivered appearance of the two orders.  First the nature or design of the antennae was changed. As you pointed out, the "wagon wheel" was replaced with the Motorola "fire cracker" by 1965.  This can also be observed on road units as the second generation power, up to the first order of GP35s, came equipped with the "Whip" style with a round base. The second order of GP35s came with the motorola unit, as did all subsequent deliveries.  The lettering was also changed to the large Burlington as you pointed out.  The addition of the "all weather" window boxes was an aftermarket addition that the Q performed when the units were set up for service, and not all necessarily received them at the same time.  Another change was the different handrail stanchions and their mounting to the frame.
The tiresome debate over the shade of Grey is explained by the evolution of commercial paints away from the early lead based products of the 1940s and 50s. The Grey of the 1960s was pretty standardized with both the red road units and the black switchers receiving the same treatment.  That is my take on your question, hope it helps! Jim Sandrin