Re: [CBQ] Rapido SW1200

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rapido SW1200
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 00:02:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
There is one other variable that hasn’t been mentioned concerning the paint
applied to the models that we buy. Most of the models that we buy are
manufactured and painted overseas, particularly China. Chinese manufacturers
use paint sourced locally, not Tru Color or some other well known model
railroad brand. Sunset 3rd Rail uses Tru Color as their color choice and sends
samples to their supplier to match. Prior to covid, they personally traveled to
China to check models before shipment to the U.S. Since covid, they have had to
rely on photos prior to shipment. So, the manufacturing process is compromised.
First, the foreign paint manufacturer has to properly match the Tru Color or
other brand paint or chip. Second, without a personal inspection at the
factory, it is difficult to determine the color applied. Add to that the fact
that the manufacturer’s inspector may have never seen a Q locomotive in service
or even any of the other railroads’ paint schemes that they are offering. A
case in point, I have an O scale SD9 that Sunset manufactured in 2016 and a GP7
that was made this year. The gray on the SD9 is much darker than the GP7. To my
eye, the GP7 is more correct, but I think I can live with both as both are fine
models.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO